Action at the Recreation Ground

St. MARGARETSBURY CRICKET CLUB

Club Logo THE HISTORY OF ST.MARGARETSBURY CC ECB Clubmark Logo

St.Margaretsbury (formerly Stanstead Abbotts) Cricket Club boasts the oldest recorded cricket match in Hertfordshire, held on Wednesday 6th July 1737 against the corporation of Hertford, for a stake of 200 guineas.

The Club had a strong link with the Middlesex side of the late eighteenth century, entertaining them on Stanstead Marsh on the 11th September 1798.

The Middlesex side included Thomas Lord who had opened the first Lords ground on Dorset Fields (now Dorset Square) in 1787. In fact four of the club side played for Hertfordshire at Lords against Middlesex a few days earlier (5th and 6th September 1798).

There were several single wicket competitions involving Club and Middlesex players around this time. Stansteads opening bat Taylor, who had played in both matches mentioned earlier, was invited to play for the Hertfordshire side against Middlesex in the first ever match on the current Lords ground in St. Johns Wood in 1814.

Throughout the 19th century the club enjoyed a good standard of village cricket.

Stanstead Abbotts fielded a Second XI for the first time in the year 1900 and won the East Herts Cricket league Championship in 1909 (the year of its inception).

The Club was reformed in 1919 and 1948 respectively following the two world wars, playing village cricket until entering Hertfordshire League cricket in 1981, winning the Division 1 Championship in 1985.

Today, the club fields 3 senior XI's on a Saturday which now all compete in the Saracens Hertfordshire Premier Cricket League. On Sunday's there is 1 senior XI for both friendly and competition matches and an Academy XI that competes in friendly matches.

The club also has a highly successful Junior Section, which fields teams at U10 - U17 age groups in the Hertfordshire youth leagues and continues to take pride in its friendly and family nature.

In 2005, the club was awarded Clubmark by the England and Wales Cricket Board, which means that we are recognised for our commitment to the development of young cricketers within the local community. In 2008 & 2012, the club was re-accredited with Clubmark, highlighting its continued commitment to developing and safeguarding young players.

The members are proud of the association built up over many years within the Hertfordshire Cricket Association and amongst many other local sides and competitions, some of which have been playing cricket against St.Margaretsbury for almost 150 years!

As you can see, the club competes in many local competitions, which involves matches at the ground during the week and weekends. Why not pop in and see us at the recreation ground. Address details can be found via the contacts page.

THE CLUBS HONOURS

  • Hertfordshire Cricket League Div.2 - Runners-up 2014
  • Saracens Hertfordshire Cricket League - Winners 2002
  • Hertfordshire Cricket League Div.1 - Winners 1985
  • Hertfordshire Cricket League Div.2 - Winners 1993
  • Hertfordshire Cricket League Div.2 - Runners-up 2001
  • Becker Transport Plate - Winners 2001
  • East Herts Cricket League - Winners 1909
  • The George Fuller Cup - Winners 1968, 1973, 1997, 1999
  • The George Fuller Cup - Runners-up 1970, 1972, 1998, 2000
  • Hertforshire League Div.2 2nd XI - Winners 1989, 1992, 1993
  • Hertforshire League Div.1 2nd XI - Runners-up 1999
  • John Price League - Winners 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1990
  • Geddings League - Winners 1993, 2000, 2004
  • Geddings League - Runners-up 1998
If anyone would like to know any more information about the History of St.Margaretsbury Cricket Club, please contact us at the website.

Click Here to Contact us

Home | About Us | Latest Club News | Sponsorship Opportunities | The Teams | Team Selection | Policies & Membership Information | Junior Cricket | Match Reports | Contact Us | Photo Gallery | Statistics | League Tables | League Results/Fixtures | Saturday Results | Cricketing Links | Full Score Sheets | Club shop